Photo by Shayla Girardin
Making time to workout can be challenging and actually getting out the door is a struggle. For my fellow fashion focused females out there the last minute question always remains: What should I wear?
If you’re worried about how to dress for the gym, don’t break a sweat (save that for your workout). There are lots of ways to dress practically and comfortably while staying on budget. No doubt about it, workout wear can be expensive and stores specializing in high-end workout attire can be a little pricey on a college budget.
Freshman Shannon Hansen agreed that workout clothes can be costly.
“Some workout clothes can be over a hundred dollars, and that’s a little much if you’re just going to wear them to workout and sweat in,” Hansen said, “but I think when you look and feel good you do better [in your workout].”
Luckily for you, there are plenty of places to purchase cute and affordable workout clothes. Here are just a few:
1) Forever 21 – Forever 21 is a great option for workout clothes. Like everything else in the store, they have a wide variety to choose from. Many Forever 21 stores actually have a whole section for fitness wear. They sell everything from track jackets to workout leggings. Active shorts range from $10-$15, while leggings range from $15-$20. Workout tops are around $10-$15.
Closest Stores: Third Street Promenade (13.1 miles), Topanga Plaza (15.3 miles), West Side Pavilion (17.8 miles), The Oaks Mall (20 miles)
2) TJ Maxx & Marshalls – I’ve grouped these stores together because they have one key element in common: They all provide designer brands at discount prices. These stores offer products from various vendors at 20 to 60 percent less than the original price. You can often find in season designer apparel for a fraction of the cost. Their workout selection is no exception. I’ve had great luck with everything from workout tops to sneakers at these stores. Prices vary depending on designer and store, but they definitely can’t be beat.
Closest TJ Maxx: 4th Street Santa Monica (13 miles) & Thousand Oaks Blvd (15.4 miles)
Closest Ross/Marshalls: Lincoln Blvd. (15.8 miles) & N Moorpark (19.9 Miles)
3) H&M – Fashion conscience females will love H&M’s workout wear. Their clothes are trendy and affordable. Plus, there are plenty of options in a wide variety of colors. In fact, it’s easy to be a little overwhelmed by all the selection. Workout tops range from $15-$25 while their popular tights are anywhere from $30-$40. Their workout attire fits well and is great quality for the price.
Closest Stores: Third Street Promenade (13.1 miles), and Westfield Topanga (16.4 miles)
4) Target – Nothing beats a trip to Target. From electronics to school supplies, Target offers just about everything. Their women’s athletic wear is no exception. Target has a whole section devoted to women’s workout clothes. Their clothes are extremely comfortable and fit great. Target is also good for the necessities like sneakers, socks, etc. Tops range from $15-$25 while leggings are around $20-$30.
Closest Stores: Westlake Village (15.3 miles, right bY In-N-Out), Woodland Hills (15.9 miles)
5) Lululemon – While not the cheapest option, Lululemon is every girl’s go-to. With cute and comfy workout clothes it’s hard to beat their selection. Their clothes can be a little pricier, so I highly recommend staying on the lookout for sales. If you’re looking for a staple piece, like a great pair of workout leggings, or are willing to pay a little more for your workout attire, Lulu is the place to go. There quality is terrific and their leggings will last you a lifetime. Whether your sport is yoga, kickboxing or track, there’s workout attire for everyone. Plus, the fit is impeccable.
Closest Stores: Calabasas Commons (12.6 miles), Third Street Promenade (13.1 miles), The Oaks Mall (20 miles)
Follow Shayla Girardin on Twitter @Shaylagthatsme